Pusarla Venkata Sindhu or PV Sindhu is an ace Indian badminton player. She made her country proud by winning the silver medal at Rio Summer Olympics 2016. She is known as the first and even the youngest Indian player to make a podium finish in the individual event at an Olympics. There is a long list of achievement of PV Sindhu, and the list is growing with every passing day.
Under the guidance of her coach Pullela Gopichand, she took the Indian badminton to a great standard. Along with Saina Nehwal, Sindhu is the only 2nd player to win Olympic medal in badminton.
It was Pullela Gopichand only who was the reason of her selecting badminton. Her parents were renowned volleyball players, but 2001 All England Open Badminton Championship won by Pullela Gopichand inspired PV Sindhu to select badminton.
- Father: – V. Ramana
- Mother: – Vijaya
- Sister: – V Divya (elder)
Both her parents were well known professional volleyball players. Her father Mr. PV Ramana was a member of the Indian Volleyball Team and was a part of the team which won a bronze medal at the 1986 Asian Games in Volleyball. Mr. P.V, Ramana was also awarded Arjuna Awards in 2000 due to his great contribution to the India Volleyball.
Sindhu also has an elder sister P.V Divya, and she was a national level handball player. But later on, she quit sports and became a doctor. She got married to Anurag Kumar who is a US based software engineer.
So, PV Sindhu had the sports in her blood, but unlike her parents, she chose badminton and stood up to the standard set by her parents.
Personal Details of PV Sindhu
- DOB: – 5th July 1995
- Place of Birth: – Andhra Pradesh
- Zodiac Sign: – Cancer
- Height: – 179 cm
- Education: – Pursuing MBA
- Profession: – National Level Badminton Player
- Relationship Status: – NA
After the basic training at the badminton courts from Mehboob Ali of the Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunication, Secunderabad, PV Sindhu joined the Pullela Gopichand’s Badminton Academy. Under the guidance of Pullela Gopichand, she won many she won many titles like:-
- Accomplished 5th Servo All India Ranking Championship in doubles category (Under 10 years category).
- Won the Ambuja Cement All Indian Ranking in the singles category (Under 10 year’s category).
- Won the Singles titles at the Sub-junior in Pondicherry (Under 13 year’s category)
- At Krishna Khaitan All India Tournament she won doubles titles.
- Won gold medal in 51st National School Games in India in the under 14 team.
With such a brilliant early start, there was no stopping for PV Sindhu. With the expert guidance from Pullela Gopichand, she achieved many milestones in the National and International level. Some of the greatest achievements were: –
- Won the bronze medal at Sub Junior Asian Badminton Championship in Colombo in the year 2009.
- Won the prestigious silver medal in Women’s Singles at Iran Fajr International Badminton Challenge in the year of 2010.
- Won maiden Grand Prix Gold title at the Malaysian open 2013.
- In 2013, Pusarla Venkata Sindhu became India’s first medalist in women’s singles at the Badminton World Championship.
- In 2014, she became the first Indian to win back to back medals in the World Badminton Championship.
P.V. Sindhu is still at the peak of her performance and won many games and titles, and the biggest one of them was winning the silver medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics game.
Important Honors Received
- Received Padma Shri in 2015.
- Got the FICCI Breakthrough Sportsperson in 2014.
- Got NDTV Indian of the Year award in 2014.
- Received Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 2016.